Monday, February 13, 2012

His Eastern Skies

In "A Midsummer Night's Dream" during the performance of the play of "Pyramus and Thisbe," Moonshine (or Moon) is represented "with lanthorn, dog, and bush of thorn." Describing his own character, later in the play, Moonshine says:
"All that I have to say, is, to tell you that the lanthorn is the moon; I, the man in the moon; this thorn-bush, my thorn-bush; and this dog, my dog."

And yet, what makes this cheese like phenomenon so incredibly dubious and arcane? Countless nights of consideration has left me with little reason. The eastern skies garland his majestic presence leaving all else "Sliver'd in the moon's eclipse".

What is it that makes us worship? Is it when we're left in awe of a presence? The omnipotence of natural law? Or is it simply- beauty? May be it's a combination of both, and then again that depends on how one chooses to define it. This heavenly body, looking down upon us from within the eastern skies has left me in awe. No where else have I seen such beauty, changing colour and might, through the day- and night. His mysterious ways... amaze. But there's only so much one can do, apart from appreciate. observe and adore.


No comments:

Post a Comment